Herbal medicine is the oldest form of medicine and has been used across the world for thousands of years. It is completely natural and made from whole plants, rather than isolated chemicals. Herbal medicine is most often given in the form of a tincture, which is an alcohol extract. Herbal teas, decoctions, syrups, creams and capsules are also commonly prescribed.
Herbal medicine works with the body to restore health. It is a gentle form of medicine, with few side effects, making it a great choice of treatment for all the family from childhood until old age. When prescribed by a qualified herbalist, who will take into account any herb-drug interactions, herbal medicine can be used safely alongside prescription drugs.
Herbal medicine can be used to support many conditions which would be seen by a GP. Some conditions that are seen in a herbal medicine clinic include:
- Digestive complaints eg. IBS, acid indegestion.
- Skin conditions eg. dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis.
- Respiratory conditions eg.bronchitis, asthma, coughs, colds, sinusitus.
- Musculoskeletal conditions eg. arthritis, injuries.
- Reproductive health eg. heavy or painful periods, enlarged prostate (BPH), fertility.
- Circulatory conditions eg. high blood pressure. varicose vains.
- Endocrine disorders eg. thyroid imbalance, metabolic disorders.
- Emotional health eg. stress, anxiety, depression.
Herbal medicine views health holistically therefore the herbal treatement is aimed at the treating the whole person rather than the disease. At a consultation, a unique herbal formula is designed to support the health of each individual.